Thousands and thousands of bacteria live in the mouth and any failure to clean the mouth of food particles lead to the problem like tooth decay, cavity and of course bad breath.
Having a bad breath can be quite an embarrassing problem and as much as you try, it can’t stay hidden. Consuming items like onion, garlic, coffee and alcohol affects the breath quality quite considerably. While for some it may be temporary because of something they ate, for others it’s a long time problem.
So if that odor producing bacteria seems to have a special liking for your teeth and gums, follow the below mentioned home remedies and make your breath smell clean and fresh:
1. Water: one of the most common reasons for bad breath is a dry mouth. A dry mouth provides perfect setting for the bacteria to flourish. So whenever you feel your mouth going dry; take some tap water and swish it around in your mouth. This will, firstly stop the odor producing bacteria from doing its job and secondly, it will help in removing food particles that are stuck in the mouth.
2. Parley: parsley has such strong smell that it is often known as nature’s very own breath freshener. It is also rich in chlorophyll which kills the odor producing bacteria. After a meal or any time during the day, have just one or half sprig of this wonder herb or sip onto a juice made out of its leaves for long lasting clean breath.
3. Citrus fruits: eating citrus fruits like orange, lemon and kiwi works wonder in treating bad breath. The acid present in these food items leads to excessive production of saliva which doesn’t let the mouth remain dry and keeps the foul smelling elements at the back burner. They can be either consumed directly or in the juice form for maximum benefit.
4. Fennel: fennel is a well known and effective mouth freshener. It has anti microbial properties which discourages the bacteria present in the mouth. It can either be consumed directly after a meal or can be used to make a cup of tea which will make sure you have a fresh smelling breath and a fast metabolism.
5. Cinnamon: it is another spice that helps in treating the bad breath problem. A simple homemade mouth wash can be made by using strained and boiled cinnamon, cardamom and bay leaves. Using this mouth wash twice in a day will make your teeth are healthy and your breath is clean.
6. Apple cider vinegar: Apple cider vinegar is like a miracle liquid that can cure almost any problem and bad breath is no such exception. Just consume 1 tsp of this vinegar directly before meals or mix it in a cup of water and gargle, to be free from that bad breath.
7. Baking soda: baking soda is a kitchen staple. It works excellently in keeping bad breath at bay. Using a mix of baking soda and lukewarm water as a mouthwash or just applying a pinch on the toothbrush and brushing, both are an effective way to get a clean healthy set of teeth and fresh breath.
8. Tea tree oil: tea tree oil has a strong fragrance and anti bacterial properties so it is quite effective in treating the problem of bad breath. It can be used either by adding the oil to the toothpaste or by making a mouthwash by mixing water, tea tree, and peppermint and lemon oil.
9. Clove: a mystery spice that has anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties. They are also super easy to use as just popping 1-2 cloves will instantly change the quality of the breath. You can also make a tea out of it and use as a mouthwash to instantly get rid of a bad breath.
10. Herbal Tea: there is no problem that a cup of warm herbal tea cannot solve. Herbal teas have antioxidant properties which work effectively in stopping the growth of foul smell producing bacteria and making the breath clean, fresh and healthy. Drink a cup of sage, green or black tea to relieve yourself of the bad breath.
Even after following these tips, if the problem of bad breath still persists consult a dentist. A bad breath that’s hard to cure can be an indication of any other major oral problem or infection.